Dr. Vishwakarma Singh F.N.A.
Department of Chemistry
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
Powai, Mumbai 400076
Fax: 022-2576 7152
Ph.D. (University of Gorakhpur)
M.Sc. (University of Gorakhpur)
B.Sc. (University of Gorakhpur)
Post-doctoral Research Associate (University of Arizona)
Post-doctoral Research Associate (Brandeis University)
Post-doctoral Research Associate (Hokkaido University)
Awards and Distinction
(i) Fellowship of Academies :
(ii) Awards and Medals :
- Elected Fellow of Indian National Science Academy (INSA) New Delhi 2003.
- Elected Fellow of National Science Academyof India, Allahabad 2008.
- Award for "Excellence in Teaching" IIT Bombay 2014.
- Chair Professor, IIT Bombay, 2011
- J. C. Bose fellowship, 2010, DST, New Delhi
- Silver Medal from CRSI, 2010 for outstanding contribution in Chemistry.
- Prof. K. Venkatraman endowment Lecture award 2006-07, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai University.
- Dr.T.R. Govindachari 60th birthday commemoration award (2001-2002) for outstanding teaching and research, by university of Madras, Chennai.
- Chemical research Society of India, Medal (Jan 2000) for significant contribution in chemical research.
- Professor R. C. Shah Endowment award (2000) by the Department of Chemistry, Mumbai University.
- Prof. N. S. Narsimhan endowment award 1996, Department of Chemistry, Pune University, Pune.
1. Total Synthesis of complex bio-active molecules such as Prostaglandins,
2. Polycyclopentanoidal natural products eg Coriolin, Capnellene, Protoilludanes and marasmanes
3. Synthesis of Anticancer agents such as the diterpenoids Taxol and Phorbol esters.
4. Development of novel synthetic methodology employing the photohemical reactions such as Oxa-di-p-methane
rearrangement and Sigmatropic 1,3-acyl shifts and related reactions in bichromophoric systems.
5. Molecular Recognition: Synthesis of concave polycyclopentanoids.
List Of Some Selective Publications
1. Spiroepoxycyclohexa-2,4-dienones in organic synthesis, V. Singh, Acc. Chem. Res. , 32, 324-333 (1999)
2. Molecular Complexity from Aromatics: Synthesis and Photoreaction of endo-Tricyclo[5.2.2.02,6]undecanes. Formal Total Syntheses of () Coriolin, V. Singh, B. Samanta and V.V. Kane, Tetrahedron, 56, 7785-7795 (2000)
3. A Novel Synthesis of Substituted Bicyclo[2.2.2]octenones and 3,3-Sigmatropic Shift: A General and Stereoselective Entry into Functionalized cis Decalins, V. Singh, S. Iyer, J. C. S. Chem. Commun. 2578-2579 (2001).
4. A Novel Stereoselective Total Synthesis of Hirsutene from Saligenin, V. Singh, P. Vedantham, P. K. Sahu, Tetrahedron Lett. 519-522 (2002).
5. Cycloaddition of cyclohexa-2,4-dienones with electron deficient 2 partners: a novel and stereoselective route to functionalised bicyclo[2.2.2]octenones, V. Singh, S. Pal, S. M. Mobin, J. Chem. Soc. Chem. Commun. 2050-2051 (2002).
6. 4s+2s cycloaddition between electron deficient systems and photoreaction of -enones: A novel stereoselective entry into angular triquinanes, V. Singh, S. Lahiri, Tetrahedron Lett. 44, 4239-4242 (2003).
7. Reactive Species from aromatics and Oxa-di--methane rearrangement: a stereoselective synthesis of (±) hirsutene from salicyl alcohol, V. Singh, P. Vedantham, P.K. Sahu, Tetrahedron 60, 8161-8169 (2004).
8.Studies on alkylation of bicyclo[2.2.2]octenones and 3,3-sigmatropic shift: synthesis of advanced cis-decalins V. Singh and S. Iyer, Tetrahedron 61,457-462 (2005).
9. Synthesis of endo-spiroepoxy tricyclo[5.2.2.02,6]undeca-3,10-diene-9-one, V. Singh, M. Porinchu, P. Vedantham and P. K. Sahu Organic Synthesis 81, 171-177 (2005).
10. A novel and efficient synthesis of bicyclo[2.2.2]octenones and sigmatropic Shift in Ground and Excited States. Stereoselective selective route to cis-decalins and diquinane frameworks, V. Singh, S. Iyer, S. Mobin, J. Org. Chem. 70, 973-981 (2005).
11. Recent Approaches towards synthesis of cis-decalins, V. Singh, S. R. Iyer, S. Pal, Tetrahedron (report) 61, 9197-9231 (2005).
12. Cycloaddition Between Electron Deficient -systems, Photochemical and Radical Induced Reactions: A Novel, General and Stereoselective Route to Polyfunctionalised Bridged Bicyclo[2.2.2]octanes, Bicyclo[3.3.0]-, [4.2.0]octanes and Tricyclo[4.3.1.03,7]decanes, V. Singh, S. Pal, S. M. Mobin, J. Org. Chem. 71, 3014-3025 (2006).
13. Molecular complexity from Aromatics. Cycloaddition of cyclohexa-2,4-dienones, sigmatropic 1,2-acyl shift and ring-closing metathesis: a novel, efficient and stereoselective synthesis of (±)-hirsutic acid C and medium ring carbocycles, V. Singh, S. Pal, D. K. Tosh, S. M. Mobin, Tetrahedron 63, 2644-2653 (2007)..
14. Cycloaddition of Cyclohexa-2,4-dienones, Ring-closing Metathesis and Photochemical Reactions: A Common Stereoselective Approach to Duprezianane, Polyquinane and Sterpurane Frameworks, V. Singh, G. D. Praveena, K. Karki and S. M. Mobin, J. Org. Chem. 72, (2007) (in press).