Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry, NCL Pune/Pune University
NET, CSIR National Eligibility Test for Research and Lecturership.
SET, State Eligibility Test for Lecturership, UGC (Pune University).
M.Sc. in Organic Chemistry, Goa University. Outstanding Grade “O”
B.Sc. in Chemistry, Goa University. First Class with Distinction.
Lecturer Goa Engineering College, Ponda Goa, 1997
Lecturer Chemistry Department, Goa University, 1998
Postdoctoral Research, Tohoku University, Japan, Jan 2003-Dec 2003,
AvH Research Fellow, Freiburg University, Germany, Jul 2004-Mar 2006
DFG Postdoctoral Researh, Freiburg University, Germany, Apr 2006-Jun 2006
Investigador Titular A, UNAM,Mexico City, Sep 2006-Jul 2007
Assistant Professor IIT Bombay, August 2007- January 2011
Associate Professor IIT Bombay, January 2011 - May 2015
Professor IIT Bombay, May 2015 - present
Representative Publications and Patents:
1. Chem. Eur. J. 2015, 21, 4842 , S. V. Mulay, R. A. Fernandes.* Synthetic studies on actinorhodin and g-actinorhodin: Synthesis of deoxyactinorhodin and deoxy-g-actinorhodin/crisamicinAisomer.
2. Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2015, 2012 , J. L. Nallasivam, R. A. Fernandes.* A cascade aza-Cope/aza-Prinscyclization to piperidinederivatives.
3. J. Org. Chem., 2014, 79, 5787. R. A. Fernandes,* D. A. Chaudhari. Iron(III) Sulfate as Terminal Oxidant in the Synthesis of Methyl Ketones via Wacker Oxidation.
4. Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2014, 2833. R. A. Fernandes, A. K. Chowdhury, P. Kattanguru. The orthoester Johnson-Claisen rearrangement in the synthesis of bioactive molecules, natural products, and synthetic intermediates - Recent advances.
5. Synthesis 2014, 1836.R. A. Fernandes, S. V. Mulay, The chiral cups (calixarenes) via Döenzannulation..
6. Asian J. Org. Chem., 2013, 7, 593. R. A. Fernandes, M. B. Halle. Total synthesis of both spiroketaldiastereomers of the reported structure of cephalosporolide H. Editor's Choice article.(Highlighted in CHEMISTRY VIEWS as "Cephalosporolide H gives up more of its structural secrets" on 24th June 2013).
7. Asian J. Org. Chem., 2013, 2, 74. R. A. Fernandes, P. Kattanguru. Step economic and protecting-group-free total synthesis of (+)-cardiobutanolide. Featured Article(Most accessed article).
8. Chem. Commun., 2013, 49, 3354. R. A. Fernandes, V. P. Chavan. A 12-membered to a strained 11-membered ring: First stereoselectivetotal synthesis of (-)-asteriscunolide C.
9. J. Org. Chem., 2012, 77, 10455. R. A. Fernandes, V. P. Chavan, S. V. Mulay, A. Manchoju. A chironapproach to the total synthesis of (-)-juglomycin A, (+)-kalafungin, (+)-frenolicin B and (+)-deoxyfrenolicin.
10. J. Org. Chem., 2012, 77, 9357. R. A. Fernandes, P.Kattanguru, A protecting-group-free synthesis of Hagen's gland lactones.
11. Org. Biomol. Chem., 2012, 10, 7789. R. A. Fernandes, J. L. Nallasivam. Enantioselectiveallylation of imines catalyzed by newly developed (-)-?-pinene-based ?-allylpalladium catalyst: an efficient synthesis of (R)-alpha-propylpiperonylamine and (R)-pipecolic acid.
12. Org. Biomol. Chem., 2012,10, 4462. R. A. Fernandes, A. B. Ingle, V. P. Chavan. Stereoselective synthesis of (-)-1-epi-ventiloquinone L and (+)-ventiloquinone L, the monomeric unit of cardinalin 3.
13. Provisional Indian process patent application filed, No. 1908/MUM/2012. R. A. Fernandes, P. Kattanguru. A novel process for the four step protecting group free synthesis of (+)-Hagen's gland lactones.
14. Provisional Indian process patent application filed, No. 1780/MUM/2012. R. A. Fernandes, P. Kattanguru. Process for the three step synthesis of (+)-cardiobutanolide from D-glucono-d-lactone.
Published in the Indian Patent Office Journal No.22/2014 dated 30 May 2014. The Publication no is 1780/MUM/2012A.
15. J. Org. Chem., 2010, 75, 7029. R. A. Fernandes, S. V. Mulay Total synthesis of (+)-demethoxycardinalin 3.
16. J. Org. Chem., 2009, 74, 8826.R. A. Fernandes, A. K. Chowdhury Total syntheses of all stereoisomers of phenatic acid B.
17. Eur. J. Org. Chem., 2007, 5064. R. A. Fernandes. An efficient synthesis of (-)-posticlure: The sex pheromone of OrygiaPostica.
18. J. Org. Chem., 2004, 69, 3562.R. A. Fernandes, Y. Yamamoto. Catalytic asymmetric carbalkoxyallylation of imines with chiral bis-pi-allylpalladium complex.
19. J. Org. Chem., 2004, 69, 735. R. A. Fernandes, Y. Yamamoto. The first catalytic asymmetric allylation of imines with tetraallylsilane-TBAF-MeOH system using chiral bis-pi-allylpalladium complex.
20. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2003, 125, 14133. R. A. Fernandes, A. Stimac, Y. Yamamoto. Chiral bis-pi-allylpalladiumcatalyzedallylation of imines: Enhancement of chemical yield and enantioselectivity by water.