CH 576 : Statistical Mechanics
Ensembles and Averages, equivalence of Ensembles, classical Limit. Monte Carlo and Molecular Dyamics simulations. Distribution functions at equilibrium. Integral equation methods. Perturbation theory. Density functional methods. Molecular fluids. Estimation of thermodynamic functions. Non-equilibrium methods. Linear response theory. Projection operator method. Stochastic processes and Brownian motion. Selected applications to problems in chemical dynamics, relaxation processes and neutron diffraction.
- M. P.Allen and D. J. Tildesley, Computer Simulation in Liquids, Oxford University Press, 1987.
- J. P. Hansen and I. R. McDonald, Theory of Liquids, 2nd edition, Academic Press,1986. D. Chandler, Statistical Mechanics, Oxford University Press, 1985.
- H. L. Friedman, A Course in Statistical Mechanics, Prentice Hall,1983.
- L. D. Landau, E. M. Lifshitz and L.P. Pitaevskii, Statistical Physics Parts I and II, Pergamon Press, 1980
- D. A. McQuarrie, Statistical Mechanics, Harper and Row,1974.