CH 540 : Medicinal Chemistry
Drug discovery an overview, production of drugs, classification of drugs, drug nomenclature, how drugs work, methods of drug development, patterns of healthcare, overview of pharmaceutical industry, drug targets, drug metabolism, pro drugs, pharmacokinetics and related topics, enzyme inhibition and inactivation, enzymes as drug targets, receptors as drug targets, production of drugs, chirality and biological activity, selected examples of drug mechanisms, selected examples of the following drugs: NSAID, steroids, antibacterials, anticancer, antiulcer, drugs related to tropical diseases, antivirals, antihistamines.
- The Organic Chemistry of Drug Design and Drug Action, R. B. Silverman, Academic Press, London, 1992.
- An Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry, G. L. Patrick, Oxford, London, 2009. Pharmaceutical Chemicals in Perspective, B. G, Reuben, H. A. Wittcoff, John Wiley, New York, 1989.
- Core Concepts in Pharmacology, L. N. Holland, Jr., M. P. Adams, Pearson, New Jersey, 2007.
- Drug-like properties: Concepts, structure design and methods, E. H. Kerns, L Di, Academic Press, New York, 2008,
- Molecules and Medicine, E. J. Corey, B. Czako, L. Kurti, John Wiley, New Jersey,2007. Molecules that changed the world, K. C. Nicolaou, T. Montagnon, Wiley-VCH, Weinheim, 2008.