CH 547 : Organometallic Chemistry and Catalysis
Introduction; factors guiding metal-carbon bond formation; general synthetic methods for Main Group organometallics, structure and bonding of alkali, alkaline-earth organometallics, EAN rule, classification of carbon-based ligands by donor atoms and no of electrons donated by the ligand, sigma-donor and pi-acceptor-; transition metal organometallics; reactivity studies, applications of organometallic compounds in homogenous catalysis; hydrogenation, carbonylation, metal-mediated C-X (X = C, heteroatom) bond formations, olefin metathesis and Zieglar-Natta polymerization, stereochemistry, applications in asymmetric synthesis.
- G. O. Spessard, G. L. Miessler, Organometallic Chemistry, Prentice Hall, 1997.
- C. Elsehenbroich and A. Salzer, Organometallic Chemistry, 2nd edition, Wiley VCH, 1992.
- F. A. Cotton, G. Wilkinson, C. A. Murillo and M. Bochmann, Advanced Inorganic Chemistry, 6th edition, Wiley, 1999.
- N. N. Greenwood and A. Earnshaw, Chemistry of the Elements, 1st edition, Pergamon, 1985.
- B. F. G. Johnson, Transition Metal Clusters, Wiley, 1980.
- G. Wilkinson, F. G. A. Stone and E. Abel, Comprehensive Organometallic chemistry, Pergamon, 1980.