CH 550 : Electrochemistry
Nernst equation. Origin of EMF of a galvanic cell. Polarizable and non-polarizable electrodes, the electrocapillary curve, null point of metals and its determination. Thermodynamics of electrical double layer, Lipmann equation, measurement of surface excess. Models for the electrical double layer. Electrode kinetics. The concept of over potential. Electrochemical reactions under mass transfer control, chronopotentiometry, voltammetry and polarography. Electrochemical reactions under charge transfer control, general ized Butler Volmer equation, determination of kinetic parameters. Mechanism and electrocatalysis of hydrogen and oxygen evolution reactions.
- D. I. Antropov, Theoretical Electrochemistry, Mir Publishers, 1972.
- J. O¢M. Bockris and A. K. N. Reddy, Modern Electrochemistry, Vol.1 and 2, Plenum Press, 1998.
- Industrial Electrochemistry, 2nd ed, Pletcher, Derek/Walsh, Frank C., London: Chapman and Hall, 1990
- Electrochemistry for Chemists, 2nd ed, Sawyer, Donald T./Sobkowiak, Andrej/Roberts, Julian L., New York: John Wiley, 1995
- Transient Techniques in Electrochemistry, Macdonald, Digby D., New York: Plenum Press, 1977