CH 521 : Interpretative Molecular Spectroscopy
Mass spectrometry, the production and analysis of positive ions, molecular ions, application of isotopic abundance measurements, fragmentation modes and rearrangement of ions. Mass spectra of certain chemical classes. Electronic spectroscopy (UV-visible,fluorescence and phosphorescence):Simple chromophoric groups, conjugated and aromatic systems. Characteristic absorption of organic and inorganic compounds. Infrared spectroscopy:Characteristic group frequencies of organic and inorganic molecules. Nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy of compounds
containing 1H,13C,19F and 31P nuclei. Identification of organic and inorganic compounds using combination of spectral data.
- R. S. Drago, Physical Methods for Chemists, W. B. Saunders,1992.
- R. M. Silverstein, C. G. Bassler and T. C. Morril, Spectrophotometric Identification of Organic Compounds, 5th edition,Wiley, 1991.
- D. H. Williams and I. Fleming, Spectroscopic Methods in Organic Chemistry, 3rd edition, McGraw Hill, 1980.
- W. Kemp, Organic Spectroscopy, ELBS, 1979.
- W. L. Jolly, The synthesis and characterization of inorganic compounds, Prentice-Hall, 1970.